This year was a little different. We still went to breakfast (IHOP – I got Chocolate Chip Pancakes) and baked together but this year we only baked (and decorated) sugar cookies and chocolate chip cookies. Additionally we had a “Cookie Exchange”. My mom, aunts and I each made different cookies and enough to give everyone a few dozen. I now say aunts because this year my moms aunt decided to come.
On to the recipes!!!
My Recipe: Smores Cookies!
One year I just decided that I wanted a smores cookie. I tried a basic Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe I had and added graham crackers and marsmallows… it was ok but needed experimenting. After a few tries I came up with this!
(1) Stick butter
(1) Stick margarine
(1) Cup packed brown sugar
(1/2) Cup white sugar
(1/2) Teaspoon baking soda
(1) Teaspoon vanilla extract
(2 ½) Cups all-purpose flour
(1) Cup chocolate chunks
(1) Cup crumbled graham crackers (leave some chunks at least ½ inch in size)
(1) Cup mini marshmallows
(1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees – use UNGreased cookie sheet or parchment paper.
(2) In a large mixing bowl beat butter and margarine with mixer on medium-high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, white sugar and baking soda. Beat until mixture is combined, scrapping sides of bowl occasionally.
(3) Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer and stir in the rest. Fold in chocolate chunks, marshmallows and graham crackers.
(4) Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2-inches apart on cookie sheets.
Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes or until edges are slightly brown. Transfer to wire rack and let cool.
** With the chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers you can use a little more or less to taste….
Aunt Sally’s Snickerdoodles
(1) cup soft shortening (margarine)
(1 1/2) cup granulated sugar
(2 3/4) cups flour
(2) teaspoons cream of tartar
(1) teaspoon baking soda
(1/2) teaspoons salt (optional)
Combine shortening (margarine), sugar and eggs. Sift together and stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt (optional). Then chill dough for about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll dough into balls the size of small walnuts. Roll into mixture of 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of cinnamon. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet (you can also use aluminum foil). Place in preheated oven for about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix ingredients. Knead with hands
Refrigerate overnight or a minimum 4 hours
Make into balls, roll in powdered sugar
Bake 10-12 minutes