Source: Dierbergs’ Everybody Cooks
1 ½ cups milk (divided)
3 oz. White chocolate, chopped
2 ¾ cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups sugar (divided)
4 eggs, separated
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Amaretto Syrup (recipe below)
Almond Buttercream Frosting (recipe below)
White Chocolate Curls (optional)
– Lightly coat bottom and sides of three 9-inch round cake pans with no-stick cooking spray; set aside
– In 2-cup glass measure, combine ½ cup milk and the white chocolate. Microwave on high for 1 ½ minutes; stir. (if chocolate is not melted microwave on high for 30 seconds more; stir until smooth)
– Add remaining 1 cup milk; set aside to cool slightly
– Sift flour, baking powder and salt together on waxed paper; set aside.
– In large mixing bowl beat butter, 1 cup sugar, egg yolks and vanilla for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
– With mixer at low-speed, alternately add dry ingredients and milk mixture to butter mixture.
– In medium bowl, using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually beat in remaining ½ cup sugar until shiny but not dry.
– Fold whites in to cake batter in 2 additions.
– Pour batter evenly in to prepared pans
– Bake in 350 oven for 20 – 22 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and sides being to pill away from edges.
– Cool cakes in pans for 5 minutes
– Invert cakes onto wire racks; cool completely
– Place one layer on serving platter and brush with amaretto syrup.
– Spread a thin layer of butter cream
– Top with second layer and repeat
– Top with final layer and syrup.
– Spread remaining frosting on sides and top of cake
– Garnish with white chocolate curls
– Store in fridge and bring to room temp to serve.
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup water
1 tablespoon Amaretto
– in a small saucepan, combine sugar and water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
– Reduce heat and simmer until reduce by half. Cool and stir in Amaretto
Almond Buttercream Frosting
8 egg whites
1 cup sugar
¾ pound (3 sticks) butter, softened
3 squares (1 oz. Each) white chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
3 tablespoons Amaretto
– In a heavy saucepan, whisk egg whites and sugar until very well blended.
– Place over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with whisk for 10-12 minutes or until mixture reaches 160 degrees.
– In a large bowl with mixer at high speed beat egg whites until stiff, shiny peaks form – about 5 minutes.
– Reduce speed to medium – add butter, 2 tablespoons at a time (mixture may appear slightly curdled at this time)
– Blend in white chocolate and Amaretto until mixture is very smooth and creamy.
– Spread over cake
TIP: To make white chocolate curls, warm a square in your hand. Draw a peeler across the bar to create curls. If chocolate shaves rather than curls it needs more warming. Curls can be made in advance and chilled until ready to use. Use a wooden pick to lift and apply finished curls to cake. (I did not use a toothpick – seemed too time consuming!)